Youth Leadership Institute
National presenting sponsor:
The Youth Leadership Institute (YLI) is a four-day, overnight, college empowerment conference for Latino high school juniors. It is designed to give young leaders the practical tools they need to successfully apply to top universities, have full access to scholarship and financial aid opportunities, and set a course for academic and career success. Attendees will enhance their leadership abilities and expand their professional networks by participating in college and career workshops, live on a college campus, and interact with college students and professionals who serve as their mentors.
2017 YLI Dates and Locations
June 22-25, 2017: University of Southern California
July 13-16, 2017: The University of Chicago
July 27-30, 2017: University of Pennsylvania
- High school senior in the fall of 2017-2018 academic year
- 3.0 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent based on your school scale
- Identify as being of Hispanic Heritage
YLI Volunteer Staff Opportunities
Join HSF this summer at the Youth Leadership Institute! Apply for one of the following Volunteer YLI Staff positions:
- A-Team: Past YLI participants or HSF Scholars who support all logistical components of the current program. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: preparing and assisting with YLI sessions; transporting, setting up, and breaking down signage and materials; and escorting students, speakers and volunteers to assigned areas. A-Team members must pass a background check and remain on campus for the entire YLI program including orientation.
- Mentors: HSF Scholars responsible for serving as a mentor, supervising and leading their “familia” - a group of 4-6 YLI participants - throughout the course of the YLI. Mentors serve as the point-of-contact for their students in the weeks leading up to, during, and following the YLI program. Mentors are responsible for facilitating workshop transitions, leading familia nightly reflections, and assisting with YLI sessions, as needed. Mentors must be currently enrolled in college, pass a background check, and remain on campus for the entire YLI program including orientation.
- Fellows: HSF Scholars who serve as the head coordinators for each YLI program and as the point-of-contact for the mentors in the weeks leading up to and throughout the course of the program. The Fellows work with HSF staff to train mentors, facilitate communication between HSF staff and the mentors, and lead the mentors in each region. Fellows are responsible for assisting with YLI sessions, reviewing daily schedules and room assignments, leading workshop transitions, facilitating nightly debriefings with the Mentors and staff, and serving as on-site/overnight contact. Fellows must be currently enrolled in college, pass a background check, and remain on campus for the entire YLI program including orientation.
Please note: These are unpaid volunteer opportunities. HSF will cover the full cost of food, room and board throughout the conference including orientation, but cannot cover the cost of transportation to the university.